Friday, August 29, 2008

Obama Delivers Again

Wow! That was probably the best piece of American political rhetoric I have ever seen in my life! I won't spoil your memories of that brilliant acceptance speech by my amateurish and long-winded analysis, but I think the most important part of that speech is Obama's forceful response to Republicans' idiotic, but oft-repeated and effective, charge that Democrats are weak on defense. Here are some several memorable quotes:

"John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell - but he won't even go to the cave where he lives."

"You don't defeat a terrorist network that operates in eighty countries by occupying Iraq. You don't protect Israel and deter Iran just by talking tough in Washington. You can't truly stand up for Georgia when you've strained our oldest alliances. If John McCain wants to follow George Bush with more tough talk and bad strategy, that is his choice - but it is not the change we need."

And my personal favorite:

"We are the party of Roosevelt. We are the party of Kennedy. So don't tell me that Democrats won't defend this country. Don't tell me that Democrats won't keep us safe. The Bush-McCain foreign policy has squandered the legacy that generations of Americans -- Democrats and Republicans - have built, and we are here to restore that legacy."

1 comment:

Cyril Crozier said...

McCain's VP pick is a woman from Alaska. I better bite my tongue on that one...